THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Camargue Trip - Day 15 - England

Things to remember:
  • It was cold outside overnight last night, the heater fired up a couple of times.
  • Morning saw a nice sunny start but with a definite autumnal nip.
  • I decided to do a lunchtime run along the banks of the Seine at Rouen to relive the parkrun experience of a few years ago. But... I first got snarled horribly in city traffic and was then thwarted by road closures and limited parking opportunities so, after an incredibly frustrating hour, just called the whole caper off.
  • I ran instead at a totally random spot about 20 kilometres south of Dieppe. It turned out to be no bad thing as I found a smashing quiet spot right next to a church that also hosted some Commonwealth war graves. Members of the Royal Air Force and Canadian Royal Air Force were buried here. They were all in their 20s when killed.
  • As I hit Dieppe to catch the 18:00 ferry (pic of the ship arriving) the heavens opened. The wind also whipped up a treat. Great!
  • Birdlife on the English channel near the port was mainly black-backed gulls, herring gulls, gannets and guillemots. Fair to say I felt a world away from the birdlife and general ambiance of the Mediterranean.
  • The crossing was extremely bumpy and I was good for nothing. I actually bought a cabin so I could lie motionless, in the dark, undisturbed. It was a good call, I felt rotten for the whole four hours.
  • Finally decanted off the boat, cleared border controls and drove two minutes to the coordinates shown where I'm just hoping to be able to kip before a possible attempt at a parkrun tomorrow. Not sure if I'm up for it, though: I'm feeling pretty nauseous.
Post composed at 22:45 on Friday 24th October from my intended overnighting spot N 50.80041°, E 00.05102° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:50.80041%2C00.05102