Things to remember:
- At about 2.30am I was awoken by the noise and physical turbulence caused to the camper by incredibly high winds and sideways-sheeting rain. It didn't help I'd chosen to overnight on high ground and next to woodland.
- By 3.30am the winds were so violent that I made the decision to head for shelter rather than risk any damage.
- It made for an interesting 10 minutes' drive leaving the spot and heading for lower ground and away from any potential tree-related drama. Fair to say the short and pitch-black drive featured manically whipped-around foliage and the occasional fallen branch.
- Once settled (and sheltered by lower ground and the high walls of a cemetery) I went back to sleep no bother.
- Today's drive has seen more of the same sort of weather. This hasn't been a problem on bumbly unclassified roads but has needed full concentration on busier 'D' roads, especially those used by 40 tonners. Once or twice I've been utterly deluged by curtains of spray. It's all a very far cry from just 72hrs ago when - too hot in shorts and a T-shirt - I was surrounded by flamingos and Sardinian warblers.
- I rather struggled to find a camp tonight. Many of the promising looking features I initially headed for turned out to be tightly controlled with many-a chasse gardée and privé sign. Best to choose your battles!
- The spot I've ended up in seems right enough, though (pic). It's in some pleasant enough countryside and so far I've been totally unmolested.
Post composed at 21:30 on Thursday 23rd October from my intended overnighting spot N 48.38634°, E 01.45760° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:48.38634%2C01.45760