THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Yorkshire Dales Trip - Day 1


Blogging at 21:50 on Thursday 27th June from N 54.46325°, W 01.96748° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:54.46325%2C-01.96748

We're snatching a few days away and have headed - to this point anyway - to the Yorkshire Dales.

At the location shown now, Stang Forest. It's a top place: little trammelled and quite nicely managed. The only negative I've seen are dozens of pheasant feeders. Of course, being a townie I don't understand the ways of the countryside.

From where we're perched we have absolutely magnificent views to the north - probably as far as 30 miles or so. It's busy with wildlife here. I've seen the same fast-flying, restless butterflies I saw on the tops last weekend on the moors but this time saw one alight and am now pretty certain they're dark green fritillaries.

Other good sightings have been a tree bumblebee and a baby woodcock. Also noteable: a cuckoo calling! Probably the latest I've ever heard one.

Sent from my Nexus 4