Blogging at 22:00 on Friday 24th May from intended overnighting spot N 55.75706°, W 05.04298° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:55.75706%2C-05.04298
Things to remember:
- Made Bute by 09:30 and have explored all day. It's basically inoffensive but slightly underwhelming. There are some nice habitats and niches but it just doesn't bowl me over. It all feels a bit dogeared and downtrodden.
- Plenty of birdlife and loads of brown hares. Probably the best birding moment on Bute was a common sandpiper feigning injury to lead me away from its nest. It turned out to be a four-egger and all looked healthy.
- The bird of the trip has been cuckoo. I've literally heard and / or seen them every single day and today has been no exception.
- Even done a few cultural attractions today, including the (barely still) standing stones that are about 20 metres from where I'm intending to overnight (pic). I'm pretty sure the rusty 40mm box-section steel wasn't part of our neolithic ancestors' offering to the relevant deity.
- From the same spot, saw a few distant porpoise between Bute and Arran.
Sent from my mobile device