THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Reiver Dirty 65er Gravel Bike Race


N 55.24648°, W 02.56105°

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:55.24648%2C-02.56105

Well, inspired by my brother and bitten by the notion that I should race each and every one of my race bikes this season, I find myself deep in Kielder Forest on the eve of my first fully off-road event in years. 

Not for me, though, the fearsome 200km sufferfest that serious bikers do at this meeting, nor even the 130km version. I'm quite content to take on the measly 65km race - I'm quite sure I can bonk and cramp without too much trouble at this distance, thank you. My brother tried to persuade me to do the full 200 with him but I just don't have his ultra-endurance capability and know I'd just be a miserable, whining burden over such distances.

The event is a big affair with headquarters at the rather grand Kielder Castle and a pretty serious expo in the grounds. There are hundreds here, even this evening, and more carbon, hipsters and 650Bs than its possible to shake a stick at. It occurred to me wandering around that I didn't see one single other bike with V brakes. Hmmmm.

At the location shown now (pic), a glorious spot overlooking the Kielder Burn and a huge tract of open ground in the midst of the forest. I've seen nothing rare but quite a lot of the expected stuff and there's plenty of woodland bird calls and song going on.

Sent from my Nexus 4