Things to remember:
- I was cold in bed last night! What a novelty. I had to get up, flip my dual-temperature sleeping bag over and only then could I get on with being comfortably asleep.
- The first part of this morning was spent bumbling as slowly as possible through the Morvan. Again, I'd venture that if you pick your (unclassified roads) line through this most beautifully formed mini-mountain range: then it's unfeasible that you couldn't be impressed.
- I also discovered a couple of formalised 'forest drives' within the region (3.5t limit) that looked very promising indeed. I had a short pootle down one of them and found a curios thing. It was a compound comprising many, many hectares that was home to captive 'wild' boar. I don't know what's going on here but the boar within the compound seemed very used to human presence and weren't phased at all by my amateurish photo attempts.
- After reluctantly leaving the Morvan I basically covered ground north using mainly E and N roads - just to get the job done. It was quite a dull affair all told but was punctuated by an interesting lunch stop. I followed some promising map features and found myself in the middle of a sprawling fenced-off wetland that is maybe (I'm guessing) all about fishing. That said, no one was fishing that I could see, and the various lakes and ponds supported decent numbers of water birds. The absolute highlight was spotting a little bittern in low flight over one of the lakes before crashing - as they do - into a reedbed. This was a significant sighting so late in this trip.
- I'm now at a spot we've stayed at a couple of times before: it's a cemetery where both French and allied forces soldiers (mainly Brits) are buried having lost their lives in both of the great wars. I've had a wander around (again) and find reading the various headstones and memorial structures an incredibly sobering affair.
- Respects paid, I had a spin out on the bike around the many gravel and forest tracks to be found hereabouts. It was fun but tiring. Indeed, it's probably fair to say that not only I, but the bike and the camper are all now more than ready for a bit of a rinse and a lie down (pic).
- I also had another good hobby sighting over the cemetery. This time the raptor was not in control, though, and was being harassed by house martins.