THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Sardinia Trip - Day 16 - France

Things to remember:
  • Last night's stopover is officially reduced back to the status of lunch stop. There was just too much nocturnal activity in the steeply-sided Rhône valley. All and any noises created were amplified by echo and resonance far more than any solitude-loving gringo might prefer. I heard music from passing cruise ships, emergency service sirens and more than a few boy-racer types ripping it up. It wasn't that it's not a right-enough place, just that it was far too noisy for my liking.
  • I had a bit of a lie in today and got up at 7.00am. After a quick breakfast I went for a slow run: the heat was once again already building and it's fair to say I'm also pretty whacked by this stage in this trip.
  • Soon after setting off I took on fuel at a (currently) reasonable-for-France price of €1.98/l.
  • Thereafter I again made use of toll roads to cover more miles north. I was determined to get back to the awesomeness of the Morvan, the area I'd enthusiastically banged on about on the trip out.
  • Which I made by late afternoon! This really is a lovely, lovely area. Even the hamlets are all very twee and nearly all cluster around a church of a particular vernacular (pic). After enjoying a steady bumble through the picturesque landscape awhile I spotted an opportunity for a potential overnighting spot in the form of one of the usually dreaded Route Barrée à 1km scenarios. I figured if I went past the barriers and then as far down the barrée-d road to the point at which it was actually closed, I might well find myself a quiet-enough spot with little prospect of passing traffic.
  • And the coordinates betray the agreeable spot that resulted. There were a handful of cars through early evening but they seemed to be driven by people who optimistically thought the Barrée signs didn't actually meant Barrée. It really does though, there's a bridge over a river that's out.
  • Anyway, apart from the optimistic few passing by ... twice each, it's essentially been an evening of solitude.
  • From the spot I've seen many red-backed shrike, had a grizzly view of a female broad-bodied chaser consuming a house fly that was bigger than her own head, and even added still further to my notable trip-species list in the form of black stork and golden oriole, which I also heard singing its glorious fluty melody. Furthermore, I heard the stork making an apparently very rarely uttered mewing call (according to by bird ID app). I think I quite like black storks. They're shy birds that are rarely seen and don't engage so much in their white stork cousins' gregarious behaviour or ostentatious bill-clattering stuff etc. The one I saw tonight was also doing a really slow gliding flight with its legs very obviously left dangling. I've never seen that before. I'm guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some courtship at play.
Post composed at 22:15 on Sunday 7th June from my intended overnighting spot N 46.94966°, E 04.07550° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:46.94966%2C04.07550 

Uploaded Image