THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Sardinia Trip - Day 4 - France

Things to remember:
  • I was just nicely drifting off to sleep after going to bed last night when they started: at least two, maybe more, just-fledged tawny owls started calling to be fed. They were very close to the camper and though I really enjoyed the experience could not have slept through it were it not for my faithful earplugs.
  • First thing this morning I spotted a goshawk again, this time flying effortlessly away from me through a tunnel of trees.
  • Further, I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that I also spotted red-backed shrike from the overnighting spot whilst having a gentle wander around.
  • So, no humans; but owls, goshawks and loads of insects: in all it was a very good camp.
  • This morning's drive was just glorious. I passed through the utterly compelling scenery of the Regional Natural Park of Morvan. Very simply, it's just a really lovely area. It's sparsely populated and the twisty roads through the steeply wooded and traditionally farmed hills and valleys are virtually traffic-free (pic). The feel-good spilled over! I was so enchanted that I stopped amongst it around mid morning for elevenses (something I don't ever do, normally). The cicadas and corn buntings were calling from sympathetically managed meadows whilst buzzards and black kites wheeled overhead. Elevenses went on until 12.30pm.
  • Upon (reluctantly) leaving the park, I was immediately into the Beaujolais region, which is another cracking bit of France. As well as the impressive landscapes I also passed by a couple of genuinely impressive chateaux.
  • Took on diesel at €2.10/l (painful, but cheaper than when we were in Brittany over Easter).
  • A bit out of kilter because of my 'elevenses', it got to a point at about 2.00pm when I thought I'd better eat some lunch. A random track that looked good from map features loomed, so I took it. Bottom line, that's where I remain. Because of the altitude and shade afforded by the surrounding forest it's the first time since setting off that I've been able to actually move around without melting.
  • From my relatively cool (26°C) late lunch / early intended overnighting spot I even managed a shirtless run through the shade of the forest. It was a steep and rocky affair, though.
  • There's been nothing unusual natural-history-wise here, but it has been an incredibly peaceful spot. As well as the expected woodland birds, firecrests have been frequent songsters.
Blogging at 21:30 on Tuesday 26th May from my intended overnighting spot  N 46.16881°, E 04.44608° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:46.16881%2C04.44608 

Uploaded Image