THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Sardinia Trip - Day 3 - France

Things to remember:
  • I got up at 5.15am (UK time) so that I might be able to run under the shade of the forest I'd overnighted in - before it got too hot to do anything. I did a humble 5.5k and was drenched in sweat even then. It took longer to get cleaned up than the run itself had taken.
  • The morning thereafter was spent bumbling through pleasant French villages as the heat of the day built relentlessly. Bumbling through pleasant French villages makes me happy.
  • Lunch was spent under dense tree cover in a spot we've previously overnighted at. I heard (and Merlin confirmed) middle-spotted woodpecker here.
  • More minor-road bumbling followed in the afternoon until there came a point where heat soak won the day, it just became too hot to function safely so I found some shade down a track and started the process of attempting to cool the hab box down enough to be able to actually get in it.
  • The spot's proved right enough. I haven't seen a soul but have spotted what I'm pretty sure were a pair of goshawks. I've also heard both a turtle dove and my first cicada of the year.
  • It's a very good spot for insects and I've seen good numbers of broad-bodied chasers as well as a couple of other dragonfly species I couldn't identify.
  • Many of the insects have insisted on checking out the interior of the (cooling) hab box, including the fearsome-looking but totally harmless lesser sabre comb-horn crane fly in the pic. It was a bit grumpy when being ushered out.
Post composed at 22:05 on Monday 25th May from my intended overnighting spot N 47.42059°, E 03.91292° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:47.42059%2C03.91292 

Uploaded Image