Today I took the five-hour round trip Cal-Mac ferry from Kennacraig to Port Ellen on Islay (pic) in the hope of spotting basking sharks. Post excursion I've headed north to Oban. Neither of these things were part of the original plan!
Things to remember:
- I made the ferry excursion because the weather forecast was awful for today so I figured I may as well do some serious sea watching rather than be confined to the camper in miserable sideways rain.
- No basking sharks, but I did have loads of good bird sightings, including razorbills. I also spotted more Sikas grazing seaweed from various shores around Kennacraig, plus a sole porpoise out near Islay.
- It was kind of cool to be able to see Rathlin Island and the coastline of Northern Ireland really clearly from Port Ellen.
- Post excursion I had intended to head for Crinan to do the parkrun there in the morning but found, upon checking, it had been cancelled during the course of today. This was a proper curve-ball.
- Headed for Oban as a result of the cancellation to tee myself up for the Oban parkrun, or an early start biking around the Slate Island of Seil and Luing. Much will depend on the weather and how I'm feeling first thing tomorrow morning.
- Speaking of weather, at the time of preparing this post, it's sheeting rain, freezing cold and blowing a really squally gale. It's late June.
- But, from adversity springs opportunity and as a result of the shitty weather and parkrun cancellation, I've come up with an alternative and booked as a foot passenger to sail from Oban to Tiree and back on Sunday. Basking sharks beware, I will spot you...