Today's been a really relaxed affair following the hectic schedule so far; and particularly yesterday's epic. I've basically bumbled around the Knapdale peninsula and stopped off very frequently to look for wildlife / take in the odd cultural attraction.
Things to remember:
- Did some grocery shopping this morning and bumbled aimlessly around Tarbert for a while like a real tourist.
- Then poked around some forest tracks - not so much like a real tourist.
- Found St Columba's Cave (pic): it's a low-key affair that just quietly gets on with being a place of great magnitude for some devoted pilgrims. The stone altar within, now full of candles, beads, gospels and similar tat is probably not what St Columba imagined things would turn out like.
- Chanced upon a German couple in a Land Rover-based overlander close to the cave. Had a nice chat with them (after establishing they were there for the landscapes and solitude rather than the cave).
- My chosen spot tonight is a little more in public view than I'd normally like but it has massive sea views and I've spent literally hours looking out for sea mammals and basking sharks. No luck today, I'm afraid.
- Spontaneous decision to travel as a foot passenger to Islay's Port Ellen and back tomorrow. The predicted foul weather and lack of sea-mammal sightings so far has been influential.