Blogging at 21:00 on Wednesday 23rd October from intended overnighting spot:
N 53.94109°, W 00.47092° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:53.94109%2C-00.47092
Things to remember:
- Enjoyed the peace of Outstray Farm area first thing and then battled through the shitness of Hull to reach Tophill Low reserve, where I've since spent all day.
- Did a bit of birding before lunch. Best sighting was four bearded tits.
- Biked after lunch and though it was enjoyable I was pretty darned fatigued. Encountered ridiculously civilised behaviour from oncoming motorists. On the narrow lanes I was on, they'd invariably pull right up onto the verge and come to a full stop allowing me to pass with zero jeopardy. Eat your heart out, Netherlands.
- Back at the reserve, watched the gull roost up until twilight; it was massive. Best sightings were of two common gulls coming in to roost. One did extraordinarily acrobatic cartwheels in the water as part of its bathing routine; another practised dropping and then re-catching - about six times - something around acorn sized in flight, before eventually discarding it and dropping in to bathe / roost.
Sent from my mobile device