THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Inner Hebrides Trip - Day 10 - Rum

Blogging at 22:00 on Wednesday 22nd May from intended overnighting spot N 56.89517°, W 05.85972° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:56.89517%2C-05.85972

Things to remember:
  • Cold and windy today, but at least the ship ran. It's apparently often cancelled because of adverse wind / tide combinations.
  • Dolphins swam with the ferry for a couple of minutes on the way over to Rum.
  • Rum was by far the least inhabited of the Small Isles I've seen. Once out of the harbour-bay town of Kinloch there were only two more dwellings as far as I could see, and both uninhabited.
  • In spite of it, the vanity castle and mausoleum were as incongruous as they were impressive. 
  • Roads were all just dirt tracks laid over a bedding made of large stones. In many places the dirt had just worn / weathered away (pic). It made for 'interesting' cycling. It really needed at least 50mm nobbled tyres, and front suspension would definitely have been worthwhile. I didn't have any of those, which was one of the contributory factors to an unpleasant downhill stack. Painful ribs are my greatest concern.
  • Red deer are all over the island and form a long-term study sample for Edinburgh University.
  • The topography and flora were massively different to the other Small Isles I visited and were mainly upland peat bog. I suspect different geology.
  • Notable bird species were greenshank, whimbrel and a small flock of golden plover. The bay at Kinloch was especially good for birds and looked like good otter territory, too. It was nice to hear eiders calling here.
  • Got very, very cold on Rum and on the way back mainly had to stay inside the ship to avoid problems. Even so, on one brief trip outside saw a close-up Arctic skua. Result.
  • Late finish, especially as I had to clean and tend injuries.
Sent from my mobile device