Blogging at 21:00 on Monday 1st January from intended overnighting spot N 49.32412°, W 01.11050° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:49.32412%2C-01.11050
Things to remember:
- Excellent camp last night and I even had a couple of thrumming ships sailing by on The Seine not long after going to bed, presumably making use of high tide.
- Went for a run at a lake I know but found some extra trails that made for a better experience than the lake itself. The run was quite enjoyable but I fear I've now really buggered my knees.
- Visited Dives-sur-Mer, a coastal town on a river mouth where I hoped to see some birdlife but it was basically absolutely rammed with French people promenading. There's a very posh marina and some exclusive dwellings there (pic), which maybe accounts for how busy it was. I did see a yellow-legged gull, though.
- Not long after quitting the town I drove through some really nice marais habitat where I saw two fields-full of cattle egrets. I later really regret not pootling about the smaller lanes there
- Visited Omaha beach area intending to rough camp but couldn't quite believe how ridiculously rammed the area was, and especially with the number of circulating Dutch and Belgian motorhomes clearly trying to blag somewhere to sleep. I left. Only a few years ago - and at the same time of year - Emma and I were literally the only ones there.
- Tried a few quiet lanes in marais habitat but couldn't find anywhere I liked so have defaulted to a spot at Isigny-sur-Mer where we stayed in the truck the same few years ago.
Sent from my mobile device