THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Reivers Trip - Day 6 - England

Blogging at 22:10 on Tuesday 28th July from N 54.99211°, W 02.97796° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:54.99211%2C-02.97796 

Done lots today.

We were treated to a splendid osprey sighting first thing. It came quartering over the reservoir close to the truck and was mobbed by a sqabbling common gull. The osprey didn't seem to care much but did occasionally flash it's talons.

The drive west out if the reservoir valley was incredibly pretty and justified a visit to the area in its own right.

Next up was a visit to a fellow overland-truck owner's cottage in Dumfries and Galloway. It's the first time I've seen it since he moved up here a couple of years ago and what a stunner it is. As well as an awesome location, the birdlife was good and we even heard grasshoppers stridulating; never something to be overlooked in the UK these days.

After the visit we made a quick stop-off at the Lockerbie air disaster memorial garden. I've been before but Emma never has. It's both moving and tastefully executed; always worth a look.

Following the memorial we headed to the coordinates shown - a place I've overnighted before. From here Emma had a run and I biked. Purely by chance we met a local farmer who asked our business in the truck. I explained our interest in birds and that I knew the area was brilliant for migrating geese and he did no more than give us free reign to drive up a track on his land that led to a fantastic view of the river Esk and some former gravel pits that were teeming with birds (pic). Result. 

Best sighting was a probably the largest sand martin colony I've personally ever witnessed, complete with archetypal exposed river sand-cliff supporting countless martin nest burrows.

Sent from my Armour X5