N 49.04427°, E 08.30188°
But, I'm only just in Germany as per pic. After the event I had an urge to just get away and so I've driven right across Germany and am now west of the Rhine and only a few minutes drive to the French border. I need another fix of Alsace while I'm out this way.
I didn't enjoy the event. It rained overnight, the first other-than-sunny-and-hot weather I've encountered since leaving GB. I thought we might get away with it as the roads were sort of drying come daylight but just before the start of our race the heavens opened. It was the worst case scenario, making the dangerous bike course a stupidly dangerous bike course.
It's a shame as the whole event was otherwise fantastically organised and brilliantly executed. The Austrians clearly had a huge budget and some very efficient project leaders.
I swam as averagely as usual and then just couldn't make any impression on the bike. I gave it my best but didn't have the legs and struggled with the hills. The descents were just plain silly, 3 people at least fell off in front of me. The run felt like the best leg for me and I passed a few but all told I was simply outclassed. Depressing stuff.
I stopped short of France as I spotted a likely overnighting place on the sat nav as I crossed the Rhine. Sure enough it seems to have worked out. In spite of the heavy industry round and about, within two minutes of pulling up I saw red kite, white storks, a huge woodpecker (probably black but couldn't get the bins on it), and what looked for all the world like a beaver (but with a round tail so definitely coypu) quietly chomping on vegetation in a sluiced dyke running off the river.
Incidentally, as soon as I'd cleared Bavaria it was back to warm and sunny weather. The deluge couldn't have been more unhelpfully timed.
Sent from my Nexus 4
