THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Austria Trip - Day 7 - Germany

N 47.62152°, E 13.08590°

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:47.62152%2C13.08590

The toll road I mentioned lays claim to being the highest in Germany: the Rossfeld scenic road. It seemed only decent to see what it was all about so I set off up it. I wasn't long into it before I was joined at great speed by about 40 SLK open top Mercedes all in an unbroken line and all being driven by gentlemen of a certain status who clearly had no 9-5 work obligations.

I pulled over to a crawl on the very next straight and was overtaken by the whole convoy amid waves of appreciation and the crackle of highly tuned engines.

At the top of the climb, the Rossfeld road runs along a broad ridge with Germany to the north and Austria to the south. The height at this point is a claimed 5,150 feet. The vista into both countries was amazing and I stayed up there for going on three hours just gawping about. It was cooler up there though, I had to put a top shirt on for the first time since setting off.

To top off the tops, I was idly flicking through the pics I'd taken sitting in the Bongo with the side door open when a male ring ouzel plopped to the ground out of nowhere landing about 20 metres from me. I watched it gathering invertebrates by browsing the low herbs before flying off, presumably to feed young. Who would have called it? I'm ring ouzeled out.

I would have loved to have stayed up there but have to be in Kitzbuhel by mid morning at the latest and I just daredn't risk getting snarled. It's at least two hours between the points with a couple of busy towns to contend with. Reluctantly heading off roughly in the right direction then, but will probably kip in Germany again.

Sent from my Nexus 4