THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Austria Trip - Day 6 - Germany

N 47.60406°, E 13.02979°

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:47.60406%2C13.02979

Saw another glow worm last night just before settling down, always something special.

I was awoken at 1.30am by a half yelp, half bark immediately at the back of the Bongo. It took a second or two to come to and work out what was going on. I laid motionless for a few seconds and the noise moved to the front of the van.

I quietly got up, grabbed my torch, and tried to time the opening of the side door with one of the continuing yelps. I managed to get out with the noise still ongoing and estimated it was about 50 metres away. I flashed my torch to where it was coming from but nothing. No reflection of eyes, no crashing escape, no movement to be seen or heard. It continued a while and then just stopped.

I would guess at deer but I'll never know.

Come getting up time proper I rode the bike course again and practised the worst downhill twice. I also took the fairly unusual step of removing my armpads so now all I have is tribar extensions. This is so I can climb with my hands comfortably on the tops of the bars. I can still get into a full aero position for the few brief times it's possible to be in the tribars. Time will tell if I've called it right. So glad I didn't bring the Boardman.

I decided to head back to Germany to remove the stress so after a 'Hofer' stop I drove through some stunning alpine scenery to the Konigsee area, famous as the retreat for a certain Mr Hitler.

I'm now positioned for a hike up to the actual Eagle's Nest tomorrow morning. The area is stunning with true alpine meadows and men in lederhosen. I went for a bit of a warm up walk to further get used to the altitude and the flowers and insect life is awesome. There are flowers I can't even put into families, let alone identify to genus level.

Highlight was a good sighting of what I think was a bee hawk moth.

It's an amazing area and is proving a reasonable distraction, though I'm always mindful of the impending event.

Sent from my Nexus 4