THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Isle of Man Trip - Day 3 - Isle of Man

Things to remember:
  • It was a perfectly peaceful and non-contentious overnighting spot last night, but come about 7.00am this morning I became aware of far too many cars passing 'my' peaceful hidey-hole and heading towards the Point of Ayre. Turns out I'd stumbled upon the End-To-End walking race! This - I subsequently discovered - kicked off at 8.00am at the Point of Ayre and saw the competitors heading south down the west of the island to their ultimate finish at The Sound; about 63km away. It was a spectacle, for sure.
  • Spent most of the morning out my bike in a sort of training, birdwatching, walking-race-spectating kind of way and had a jolly good time of it. The weather was fair, balmy and still. The feel-good was palpable.
  • Post lunch I did a bit of sea-watching and added juvenile guillemots, red- throated divers, Sandwich terns and good numbers of porpoises to the already impressive list of species.
  • Mid afternoon saw me at the Curragh nature reserve, a boggy wetland area where there are, amongst other things, wild wallabies that escaped from the nearby animal park some years ago; and which have gone nuts ever since. I didn't see any but I did see an abundance of royal fern, carpets of devils-bit scabious, and hundreds of bees getting their late-summer sugar-rush from it. The bees caught me out at first as they were extremely pale but I think they were just season-faded common carder bees. I also spotted a silver-Y moth here, too.
  • From the reserve I headed roughly south and it was evocative to see the tell-tale black-and-white kerbing and people-catching bales associated with the TT course. I even went over the famous grab-air-then-speed-wobble bridge at Ballaugh. Racing at flat-out speeds on these roads is unquestionably certifiably insane. I predict history won't quite believe this event was ever allowed. Actually, scratch that; AI will probably have wiped our species out well before any the chance for future generations to pontificate on the obvious idiocy of such races.
  • In order to stay under the radar even more than usual I've headed to the uplands this evening and have bagged what seems to be one of those as-good-as-it-gets type spots. I'm well away from the (virtually deserted) road, am totally out of sight, have massive vistas and - as well as the expected stuff - have seen hen harrier and twite. I won't be adding this one to the Turn2Shite app's database.
  • Of which, I am actually contemplating subscribing and adding some spots. They will, of course, be utterly horrible and hopefully result in a wretched stopover. A bit like most of them are and do, anyway. 
Post composed at 21:15 on Sunday 13th September from my intended overnighting spot N 54.28803°, W 04.50376° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:54.28803%2C-04.50376

Uploaded Image