THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Sardinia Trip - Day 14 - France

Things to remember:
  • The ferry crossing was smooth and uneventful and we arrived in Toulon at around 7.00am.
  • I got out of the city asap and breakfasted about 45 mins away next to the Paul Ricard F1 circuit. There was what sounded like a practice session (not F1) underway but after the tranquility of Sardinia it made for an interesting change and I actually didn't mind it. Neither did a roller, who - in spite of the caperings of racing drivers - happily flitted about in the pines directly above the camper.
  • I'd dreaded the traverse of Marseille (it's been awful both times I've done it before) but this time serendipity lent a hand. The satnav delivered me to some toll barriers at a tunnel entrance and - with no escape - I tapped my card to the tune of €3.20 and promptly disappeared underground. About 2.5k later I reappeared at the correct end of the wretched city. Huzzah! It would have been useless for the truck though: 3.2m was the max height permissible.
  • As I approached the Camargue I saw three very distinctive red and yellow prop-driven sea planes flying in close formation and performing all manner of what looked like high-stress manoeuvres. It would appear I'd chanced upon some practice scooping performed by The Canadairs: an airborne fire-fighting concern that operates as far out as Corsica at least. It was an impressive display, for sure.
  • Back in the Camargue, then. It was great to arrive back in a positively moderate 25°C. As soon as I'd entered the fabled region I was once again immediately surrounded by overwhelming sights and sounds of the natural world. In a very short time I'd re-seen most of the species that I'd seen on the way out, plus a new one in the form of a western green lizard. And it wasn't even lunchtime!
  • Post lunch I took a local ferry service over the Rhône (€7 - pic) and then spent the entire afternoon bumbling about various lanes, tracks and viewing spots just trying to see whatever I could. The range and abundance of wildlife is just amazing and I added a few more to my outbound-Camargue list in the form of little tern, sparrowhawk, gull-billed tern  white admiral butterfly and a hobby - that I watched taking dragonflies on the wing.
  • I had a bit of a pootle around post-tea tonight to see if I could see any crepuscular species. And I did! I saw another night heron.
  • At my intended overnighting spot now. It's not especially brilliant but puts me where I want to be for an early morning bike ride / pratincole quest. I'm saying it's not especially brilliant but I may have been spoiled. There's an awesome amphibian chorus going on and bee-eaters were still on the wing until about 9.20pm, and warbling.
Post composed at 22:00 on Friday 5th June from my intended overnighting spot N 43.47433°, E 04.71820° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:43.47433%2C04.71820 

Uploaded Image