Things to remember:
- Up early again in order to see what was moving before the heat built. There was plenty moving but no new species of note. The best sight was around 90 flamingos flying low but directly overhead backlit by the early-morning sun. It was a sight to behold.
- After quitting the area of the stopover I bottomed out what remained of the achievable open-water bodies and though they were pretty enough, were unremarkable.
- A pootle up the west coast followed and, like the east coast road, there was much more traffic about, including good numbers of touring motorcyclists and numerous German-registered camping cars. It's not that it was busy, just busier than the largely untrafficked solitude I've been enjoying.
- Once I cut inland though, normal service resumed and I was back to bumbling-and-frequently-stopping to look for birds; and at a few archaeological sites and churches I happened to pass by. Without really trying, I also spotted crag martins and red-rumped swallows.
- By late afternoon I took a chance on a random track, hoping to find enough space along it to park with a good view out in order to quest for little bustard. Well, I'm not sure about my proximity to little bustard, but the space and vista bits worked out OK (pic).
- The evening at this spot has again been totally and utterly untrammeled and though I haven't seen bustard I have seen woodchat shrike courting; plus I've heard and seen nightjar and heard scops owl. Sardinia is turning out to be very cool (but hot).
Post composed at 21:50 on Wednesday 3rd June from my intended overnighting spot N 40.65053°, E 08.85690° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:40.65053%2C08.85690