Things to remember:
- Last night's stopover was indeed an absolute beauty. I saw no one from parking up to leaving, neither did I hear any human-generated noise.
- So impressive was the place that I spent almost four hours there after getting up (6.00am). I was constantly surrounded by bee-eaters, hoopoes, woodchat shrike, linnets, cirl buntings, corn buntings, goldfinches, greenfinches, spotted flycatcher, Sardinian warbler and the omnipresent calls of two close-by quail. With persistence, I even spotted one as it momentarily broke cover and stood on a stone amongst the long vegetation that they were skulking in.
- I was also surrounded by herds of genuinely free-range cattle, goats and pigs, plus more than a few wandering donkeys. I'd seen many rambling herds of cattle on the higher mountains to this point but not the other stock mentioned. They're quite literally free to roam absolutely anywhere (including over public roads) and I have no clue how the husbandry of such animals might even begin to work.
- Leaving the camp I even had the bonus of spotting a dung beetle doing it's archetypal thing (pic). What a place!
- I only made it about 10 miles down the road before finding a broken-up deserted section of road that had been superseded by a newer highway so took the opportunity to do another 30-minute run in the relatively cool mountain air; not that it was actually cool.
- The day thereafter involved a general bumble west as I'm hoping to get to some wetlands tomorrow on the west coast that are supposedly very bird-species rich. Heading west meant losing lots of altitude and by mid-afternoon I was back to the world of relentless sun and searing temperatures. I regretted leaving the mountains!
- Anyway, I've tried to mitigate by holing up in a shady spot next to a reservoir so am at least benefited from some water-cooling effect. It's nothing special but I haven't seen a soul since parking up and have had some decent views out over woodland and pasture. It's been relatively sparse sightings-wise but I have seen another wild boar making its way nonchalantly over a distant pasture, and just as I'd climbed into bed, heard another scops owl.
Post composed at 22:15 on Monday 1st June from my intended overnighting spot N 40.17807°, E 08.99332° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:40.17807%2C08.99332