THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Sardinia Trip - Day 8 - Sardinia

Things to remember:
  • I did some reading and the shearwater-type birds I saw out to sea yesterday evening were most probably Yelkouan shearwaters. We'd need a proper birder to confirm that, though.
  • It was a super-smooth ferry crossing and we arrived in Porto Torres at 6.30am.
  • After a leisurely coffee I got underway and my initial impressions of the island were good. The flora struck me as very Mediterranean (unsurprisingly) with loads of unmanaged / traditionally farmed areas. The roads were quiet and the benign and rolling landscapes are very impressive. The island also seems very sparsely populated.
  • Within the first hour, and whilst following the satnav, I encountered some tricky going. The track I found myself on was a legitimate public right of way and served a few houses. It was unsealed, steep, twisty; and very narrow. Worst, though, was the encroaching / overhanging vegetation. Suffice to say I had to do some fairly significant vegetation management as I progressed the three-kilometre stretch in order not to damage my paintwork beyond the happy level of 'patina'. It was altogether quite an interactive start.
  • The day since has essentially been a really steady pootle interspersed with regular stops to see what I could see.
  • And I've seen quite a lot. The 'notable' bird-species list whilst travelling includes: spotless starling, cirl bunting, Spanish sparrow, red-backed shrike, bee-eaters, hoopoe, Barbary partridge, lesser kestrel, quail (heard not seen), and - what seems to be a rarity on the island: lesser-spotted woodpecker.
  • As well as birds, I've also done well for other fauna. Butterflies are everywhere (most probably down to the lack of intensive farming) and I've seen a new-to-me species in the form of brown argus. As a bonus, I've also encountered, numerous (what I believe to be) Italian wall lizards, plus marsh frogs. I also had a really good sightings of a western whip snake. This was around a metre in length and crossed in front of me as I drove along a narrow track.
  • Tonight's intended overnighting spot (pic) is next to an apparently unused (but still well maintained) church that's atop a hill precisely in the middle of nowhere. From here I have a 360° panorama and it's alive with the sights and sounds of all I hold dear. It's one of 'those' spots and is just sublime (pic). From here I've looked out for hours and have been rewarded with one of my former focus species: stone curlew. I've also had yet another really good completely candid wild boar sighting.
  • Oh, and it's still hot, but for the first day of the trip not quite so debilitatingly, insufferably so. Champion!
Post composed at 22:00 on Saturday 30th May from my intended overnighting spot N 40.53256°, E 09.00181° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:40.53260%2C09.00178 

Uploaded Image