THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Camargue Trip - Day 9 - France

Things to remember:
  • A first-light scan over the brackish lagoons revealed tons of waders including hundreds of ringed plover and dunlin, as well as a few little stints and grey plovers.
  • Spent four hours in Le Domaine de la Palissade nature reserve (€5) and walked just under six miles around it; much of it in searing heat. Of the more notable birds spotted I saw: little stint, black redstart, spoonbills, water rail, greenshank, white storks, pintails, avocets and a solitary spotted redshank.
  • Insect-wise: wall brown and small blue butterflies, a few green fool grasshoppers, as well - of course - as thousands I had no hope of identifying.
  • Also spotted another giant Western green lizard.
  • A very late lunch morphed into a bit of a vehicle-based exploration of a few tracks and then parking up at the spot I'm now at. From the general bumble I spotted a few semi-nomadic Camargue horses and bulls.
  • It's a bit of an unprepossessing intended overnighting spot but it should keep me clear of the countless other camping cars that are still circulating. From this spot I've seen quite a few birds including kingfisher and two water rails in a prolonged squabble over something or other.
Post composed at 21:55 on Saturday 18th October from my intended overnighting spot N 43.45778°, E 04.69606° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:43.45778%2C04.69606