Things to remember:
- Spotted a great grey shrike at first light hunting from some power wires. It's ages since I last saw one!
- Bit of a murky start and - coming over the Massif Central just after Saint-Etienne - it was a bit cool on the tops.
- Dropping into the Rhône valley I saw a strange happening on a tiny sliver of rough ground nestled between two roads. There were about 20 people of all ages and from obviously very different ethnic heritage working the land. One bloke was working a horse drawn plow that was actually being drawn by a vintage tractor, whilst all the other people there were manually removing stones and vegetation. I have no clue what was going on but it (briefly) made me feel good about humanity.
- Into the Rhône valley proper I stopped at a place we've been before and had another very long lunch that included a 5k run and idly watching huge barges plying the river.
- Headed south post lunch and became aware things were starting to feel very Mediterranean. Warm sunshine helped!
- Passed many-a-French thing including some awesome roundabout art, some cool older vehicles, just thoroughly enviable civic pride, and another example of setting the bar for civility. In the grounds of another random industrial unit I saw a perfectly manicured greenspace complete with picnic tables where workers were lunching. Adjacent to the tables was a pétanque pitch. Civility begets civility. It's not complicated.
- At the coordinates shown now (again a place we've been before) that's a combination of hydroelectric power station and absolutely massive lock (pic). It's been great to watch huge freight barges and passenger cruise ships working their way through the formidable structure.
- The wildlife's been good, too. I've heard cirl buntings again and seen some splendid kingfisher hunting extravaganzas, as well as yellow-legged gulls and Egyptian geese.
Post composed at 21:50 on Wednesday 15th October from my intended overnighting spot N 44.50168°, E 04.70751° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:44.50168%2C04.70751