THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Camargue Trip - Day 12 - France

Things to remember:
  • Daylight broke with a spectacularly bright sunrise but within about 15 minutes the whole sky turned steely grey and cameth the rain.
  • Quite by chance, close to where I'd overnighted, I came upon a well-tended but ostensibly obscurely placed memorial near 'my' woodland clearing dedicated to Luiselli Clement, who had evidently been murdered by Germans (possibly right there) in 1944. 
  • The sombre tribute and steely grey skies set the flavour for today's drive, which has basically been a soggy traverse of the Massif Central. 
  • In spite of the grey, some of the landscapes were extremely pretty... and also a bit foreboding.
  • It's a pity the sun didn't peek out at all as many of the heavily wooded mountainsides had unbroken vistas of trees in autumnal colours that would surely rival anything New England has to offer.
  • Drove until the weather broke a bit then had a really late lunch. The spot I lunched at was pleasant enough and there were a few kingfishers and other birds around so I've stayed.
  • Rescued a fish that had become stranded in a mud pool as the adjacent river level had receded.
  • Tried for a walk out to see what I could see but was rained off.
Post composed at 21:15 on Tuesday 21st October from my intended overnighting spot N 45.38359°, E 03.35953° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:45.38359%2C03.35953