THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Colonsay Trip - Day 9 - Lismore

As a result of the Crinan parkrun cancellation, plus today's weather forecast, I did even more research and planning-on-the-hoof first thing this morning and came up with a plan to visit the island of Lismore with my bike to see what I could see.

Things to remember:
  • After swearing I'd never do the Gavanan Sands parkrun ever again, I did the Gavanan Sands parkrun again. It's truly brutal. No parkrun should ever carry warning signs of Steep Gradients Ahead. They aren't kidding.
  • The last-minute booking on Cal-Mac's online platform (I have an account, now) saw me heading to Lismore early this afternoon. The island is reportedly very fertile, low lying and hosts a number of cultural attractions. The best of the cultural attractions (for me) were some genuinely impressive carved tombstones harking back to an epoch of a mix of Viking / Celtic culture.
  • I also found a traditional BT phone box: complete with phone!
  • And the ubiquitous island-life smattering of abandoned vehicles.
  • Overall, I found the island twee in places, but all a bit underwhelming.
  • Saw a porpoise on the way over and the by-now usual bird life, including gannets diving.
  • At the intended overnighting spot spot shown now and ready for a mega-early start in the morning bound for Tiree.
  • My original intended overnighting spot tonight was thwarted by a flimsy and a PVC. The entourage was complete with gas cylinder and chairs strewn around outside, utterly bespoiling the grandeur of the landscape. I concluded disrespectful tossers.
Post composed at 21:45 on Saturday 28th June from my (unobtrusive) intended overnighting spot N 56.40445°, W 05.37953° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:56.40445%2C-05.37953