Blogging at 21:30 on Thursday 19th September from intended overnighting spot:
N 56.97072°, W 05.77308° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:56.97072%2C-05.77308
Things to remember:
- Hot, sunny day with not even the slightest breeze and millpond seas.
- Western Isles Cruise's boat over to Inverie was brimming with an odd mix of quite elderly people, young outdoorsy types, and all the mail, provisions and more than a few Amazon boxes for delivery to the citizens of Knoydart.
- At Inverie it was a sight to see the boat crew plus locals hand-balling all the goods up the quayside steps, 17th-century-like in a human chain (pic).
- Inverie is a loose collection of nice traditional buildings plus a few modern timber-clad houses with lots of glazing. The wider communities of Knoydart are basically the odd croft house dotted about here and there. Some are very isolated indeed.
- Bike ride was a challenge! I had to make some anxiety-laden judgements regarding time available and terrain but managed to string together a loop that involved traversing a river barefoot whilst carrying / pushing bike and then yomping through about a mile of boggy ground to reconnect to rideable tracks. Even on the vehicular tracks, the hills and terrain were hard. In the heat, especially, it was extremely tough going. I found myself dehydrated!
- Back at Inverie I found an ancient graveyard and - even here - a Commonwealth war grave.
- Near the honeypot area of Inverie was a lone piper in full regalia entertaining the tourist masses. I rode back to the quay where it was quite and people wore normal clothes.
- Managed to fit in an excursion down to Tarbet. The pickup / dropoff point for the well-known Loch Morar hike. It's a jewel of a place with a few well spread extremely isolated dwellings.
- Overnighting at a spot I've used before and so far it's very quiet.
Sent from my mobile device