Blogging at 21:30 on Wednesday 18th September from intended overnighting spot:
N 57.01206°, W 05.81350° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:57.01206%2C-05.81350
Things to remember:
- Excellent camp last night. The huge moon dominated the entire night and was still putting on a show after sunrise.
- Ferry to Rum / Canna was disrupted due to the regular ship being out of service. The replacement was much smaller, slower, and very unstable. It also had barely any inside accommodation and no catering service. Good job the weather played ball. Because it was gloriously warm, calm and sunny, the entire six-hour return sailing could enjoyably be spent out on open decks sea-watching whilst sailing through truly amazing scenery. All for £13... including bike!
- Had hundreds of porpoise and dolphin sightings. Some dolphin sightings were archetypal full-speed, fully airborne breaches. Amazing stuff.
- Also saw lots if birdlife, a young white-tailed eagle on Rum and a great skua out to sea were the most notable.
- Because of the slow ship, I had only about one hour and ten minutes on Canna / Sanday (instead of the two-and-a-half expected), so had to literally time-trial all of he unsealed tracks that accessed the vehicular extremities of the islands. It was full on and a real workout.
- Canna / Sanday themselves are very pretty with only a handful of dwellings and a few nods to cultural history. Suffice to say I think it's my favourite out of all the Small Isles destinations. Glad I made the return trip / effort. Undoubtedly, the weather helped.
- Back to Mallaig by about 6.00pm and it was about seven before I was turned around and settled. The intended overnighting spot is one I noted last trip but didn't stay in. It's a cracker overlooking Knoydart and Skye (pic) and I've continued to watch dolphins / porpoise right until the light faded.
- Had to defend the spot twice, though. There's only really room for one vehicle here but one two occasions (once after dark) vanlife prats tried / thought about hemming me in.
Sent from my mobile device