Blogging at 22:15 on Monday 20th May from intended overnighting spot N 56.96509°, W 05.81595° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:56.96509%2C-05.81595
Things to remember:
- Spotted more red deer first thing this morning near to last night's overnighting spot.
- Flat calm crossing to Eigg. Saw porpoise and another minke whale at sea. The minke was a small one but only about 150m from the boat.
- Lots of MCWs on the boat and lots of too-loud conversations about island-hopping, whisky festivals, arts and crafts and tales of immersing in the experience by spending several nights on Eigg / Rum in pods and hostels.
- Fearsomely hot day made biking the hilly roads and deeply rutted washed-out tracks of Eigg hard graft.
- Best sightings were dolphins hunting near coastline between Eigg and Rum, two peregrines in aerial display and redpoll.
- Eigg was a funny mix of awesome topography, geology, habitats and traditional crofting (pic), and more than a few low-rent tourist honeypots and glamping pods. An island on a knife edge of losing a good chunk of authenticity.
- Regret not having the time to top out on the incredibly distinctive An Sgurr. I didn't even know it was possible to hike up there until I was on the island.
- Later end to the day than I'd have hoped for, but chanced upon the nice spot I'm now at without too much fuss. From where spotted more redpolls, red-breasted mergansers and a common sandpiper.
Sent from my mobile device