Blogging at 20:30 on Friday 6th October from intended overnighting spot N 54.15832°, W 00.37738° / http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:54.15832%2C-00.37738
I'm out in the L200 for a couple of days checking out a few changes. I'm still sussing out the finer points but it's starting to feel like it's coming together.
I'm staying quite local and having a more detailed look at the Yorkshire Wolds. I've been through numerous times and done a few races in the area but never really stopped for a decent look.
The area is, of course, extremely pretty and - being essentially chalk hills and dramatically cleft valleys - has some superb landscape features not otherwise found hereabouts.
First stop was only about 15 miles from home at Millington woods and pastures. The drive through the dale here was achingly pretty and threw up dozens of red kites. I also caught a glimpse of what I immediately thought a hobby, but was more likely a peregrine given the time of year.
Burton Fleming was the next stop, a place I remember fondly from my time-trialling days. I came to have a proper look at the Gypsy Chase, the most northerly chalk stream in Europe. It's a seasonal watercourse and only puts in an appearance when there's sufficient groundwater to supply it. Today there was insufficient water but I enjoyed the verdant culverts anyway.
Just north of the village I chanced upon a superb chalky valley called Cans Dale where I intend to overnight (pic) It's been good for wildlife with all manner of birds and mammals including several gull species, loads of raptors (including merlin), red-legged partridge, brown hare, and at least a dozen roe deer. The chalk hillside behind the camper in the pic is an open access area and is apparently managed by the farmers (probably by limiting sheep numbers rough grazing) for butterflies. It looks good and is probably worth a visit during spring / summer.
Sent from my mobile device