THIS BLOGSITE IS PRIMARILY A LOCATION RECORDER / AIDE-MÉMOIRE FOR SOLO ROAD TRIPS AND DOMESTIC TRUCK TRIPS. IT'S ALSO SOMETIMES USED TO LOG OTHER RANDOM ACTS OF LOAFING AROUND.

NONE OF IT IS MEANT TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING.

POSTS APPEAR IN DATE ORDER WITH THE MOST RECENT FIRST, BUT NAVIGATING TO SELECTED TRIPS OR FILTERING BY ACTIVITY IS EASILY ACHIEVED BY FOLLOWING THE RELEVANT LINKS.

Channel Islands Trip - Day 4


N 49.43181°, W 02.67109°

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:49.43181%2C-02.67109

I slept OK last night in spite of no sleeping bag and some overnight rain.

While my little-tiny-tent-for-one (as long as one is no taller than 175cm) dried out, I luxuriated in an ill-prepared campsite-cafe breakfast of free-range scrambled eggs on toast. It was clear that the campsite-cafe staff (of one) had far more pressing issues at hand than serving customers, which necessitated much faffing with her mobile, absenting herself from her post, and forgetting to supply my cup of overpriced crappy tea.

I made my own tea and then left the campsite with little regret.

The boat back to Guernsey was pleasant enough and on arrival I had the dubious pleasure of attempting to find the Delica: really. My abandonment of it had been a disorientating affair and - believe me - Guernsey is without doubt one of the easiest places I've so far encountered in which to become disorientated.

After an unnecessarily ridiculous detour and several stops to consult my navigation software I did eventually remake the car's acquaintance and, to my relief, all was well. 

This afternoon I've been a tourist-proper. First, I visited the German Occupation Museum and found it fascinating. I spent two hours there looking at countless artifacts and learning of the realities of the Nazis on British soil and what that really meant for the islanders - and some of the Nazis.

The Little Chapel was next; an exquisite, tiny church (one of the smallest in the world), built largely by one exiled Catholic monk and painstakingly decorated inside and out with broken ceramics, seashells and most other things shiny. As well as an unflappable faith, a great deal of skill, and a touch of OCD, this chap was clearly a human version of a cross between between bower birds and jackdaws. It really is quite stunning; and some legacy (pic).

After that I headed to Pienmont Point, the southwestern tip of the island, to have a look at the Torteval Observation Tower (a German observation point) and the National Trust wildlife reserves around and about. Both have proved very worthwhile, as have the seascapes. It's a top spot from which I've seen holly blue butterflies and had an excellent close-up view of a short-eared owl. For good measure it's far removed from the madness of St Peter Port and the common CI theme (so far) of singing grasshoppers continues - what better reasons might be needed to kip here (coordinates)?

Sent from my Nexus 4